Not exactly related to Doom64EX, but I’ve been interviewed regarding to my passion for Doom, programming, and level design. You can read about this weirdo (aka me) here.
I am currently working on a patch for version 2.5 that should (hopefully) address a savegame bug relating to thumbnails. If you get a crash log, please report them to me if possible.
Thank you for your patience!
Edit (02/27/14): Seems like I am running into even more bugs. Huge thanks to those reporting them to me! More likely instead of a hotfix, this will end up as another version release once I am done.
Version 2.5 has been released which is to primarily address known issues with version 2.4 that was released last week. The following changes include:
- Make sure gameflags and compatflags are set by cvars before level is loaded (autoaim, allowjump, etc)
- Allow demo recording and playback across multiple levels while maintaining original behavior (no hud, stop playback on level exit) with title map and iwad demos.
- Hide status bar only if playing demos from the iwad
- Rename a demo file if it already exists
- Store more precise angle and pitch values while recording demo
A new compatibility option has been added which will enable item grabbing (doomwiki.org link for more info). This was something that was fixed originally for Doom64 EX but by request, this was added back in as a compatibility option. This can now allow proper behavior for item pickups (from the original game).
As usual, please report any bugs so I can address them ASAP.
Currently fixing some serious issues with demo playback and auto aiming. Will post another update later this week.
Downloads page has been updated with a link to download the Mac OS port of Doom64 EX. Note that this may only work on Mac OS X and may experience some audio issues on Mac OS 9 and below.
Hell has frozen over; Version 2.4 is finally out! You can grab it at the downloads page. Once downloaded, be sure to run Wadgen again to create a new copy of the IWAD.
While not a major milestone, this version however, addresses a large portion of issues and bugs.
Some changes include:
- Fixed doom64 logo from persisting when titlemap event re-launches
- Addressed issue where titlemap music would de-sync when uncapped framerates are enabled
- Force-clear all sources in audio channels (Z_Free error)
- Fixed issues with external palette loading and palette animations for world textures
- Handle mouse buttons in its own event state (causing bugs with clicking on menu items with the mouse button)
- Abort loading titlemap if map33 doesn’t exist in mapfino
- Fallback to lower depth/buffer settings if can’t initialize OpenGL (fullscreen)
- Fixed diagonal scrolling sector thrusting
- Fixed spinlock bug with audio system
- Fixed bug where automap inputs would not eat the input events while shooting in automap panning mode
- Support for 1440×900 resolution
- Blam tool now allows non-sequencial macro ordering
- Updated Builder 64 configs so it can find common.txt and other local script files where the wad is based at (Blam tool)
- Fully re-bindable XInput buttons support
- Cleaned up and improved controls menu
- Full demo recording/playback support (based off of Prboom+)
- Initial implementation of nightmare actors
- Force free look option for mapinfo
- Can now take screenshots while menus are active
- Removing iwad checksum verification
- Removed health and damage scale variables
The installer for Builder64 has also been updated which contains the fixes mentioned above. Simply re-download Builder64 from the downloads page.
All monsters in Doom64EX can now be flagged to become a ‘Nightmare’ creature. This gives it a subtractive blend as well as doubling it’s health and projectile power. This feature has not been thoroughly tested and is expected to change. Any bugs encountered, please report them on the forums.
The Builder 64 update should contain the updated configuration files which allows you to flag a monster as a Nightmare creature. After re-installing Builder 64, the thing editor should now look like this:
Note that this flag does not apply well to all monsters. Due to the nature of subtractive blending, most monsters will be very hard to see. However, Demons and Hell Knights seem to benefit the most from this flag.
Binding Xbox 360 Buttons
The process is simple, simply go to Options->Controls->Bindings. From there just choose a binding with ‘A’ and then select the button you wish to bind with.
Recording and playing back demos is the same as with any other Doom engine. To record demos, launch Doom64 EX with the -record parameter. Recording will remain persistent even between maps. To end recording, simply exit the game or use the EndDemo console command. Use -playdemo <demo lump file> to play back a demo lump.
Status On Mac OS X Support
A port for the Mac OS X is currently being worked on but has been delayed. I will make another post once the build is ready.
As usual, report any serious bugs encountered either by email or on the forums.
I wanted to release version 2.4 before the end of January but I’ve decided to delay the release until the MacOS build is ready so that way both versions of Doom64EX can be released at once.
I will be posting another update this upcoming weekend.