Since I’ve been very busy with other ‘EX’ projects (3 to be exact) , dotfloat has been kind enough to continue maintaining Doom64EX. So without further adieu, here’s an update from dotfloat:
We’re happy to announce automatic nightly builds for Windows. This marks a major milestone for the continuation of the project.
But first, I’ll introduce myself; I’m dotfloat. I’ve been working on and off (mostly off to be fair) on Doom64EX in silence for the past few years. I became interested in programming because of Doom and I hope to make Doom64EX a strong engine.
Note that since this is an in-development build meant for beta testing; stuff will break. If you’re not willing to lose your saves, please use version 2.5 instead.
The current long-term goals for the engine is to be a faithful recreation of the original Nintendo 64 game, while also being highly moddable. The minimum requirements will hopefully stay the same. If you can’t run the nightly builds, but can run 2.5, please report it as a bug.
– Better Linux support (even though you have to compile it from scratch…)
– New Image loading system with support for Doom Picture format
– SDL2 support
– Various bug fixes and improvements
– Support for zipped (ie. pk3) and directory WADs
– Controller support (with N64 Controller)
– Support for replacing sounds
– Scripting language integration (AngelScript)
– Multiplayer has been re-enabled, but it’s very buggy and unusable at this moment.
– OS X builds are a bit tricky because I don’t have an Apple machine. I’m trying to find one though!
– Animated textures don’t work correctly if you use an older WAD. You’ll have to regenerate it with the command “doom64ex.exe -wadgen “. However, this is only a graphics bug, and won’t affect gameplay.
Big thanks to GuntherDW, ProfessorKaos64, volumetricsteve, alexey-lysiuk, DieMatratze, aFoxNamedMorris, gogtytsufvhgekwzyuow (what a name) and others for having the patience to compile Doom64EX and report bugs.
If you wish to help out by submitting bugs or feature requests, you can do so on Github. I will also be checking the forums periodically, so you can report there as well.
You can also contact me on IRC at #doom64ex on irc.oftc.net, twitter as @dotfloat, email: email@example.com. Keep in mind that I live in Norway, so I might be asleep when you try to talk to me.